Friday, November 13, 2009

All's Well In Welly

My first week in Wellington started inauspiciously. I arrived, jet-lagged and sick, to be greeted by bitterly cold winds and gray somber skies. The flat I had arranged the week prior -- that I was so looking forward to settling in to -- was ... dear God, it was a hole. What in the world was I doing in Wellington? If it weren't for my friend C who graciously offered me her sofa, I may have just gotten back on a plane and headed back to San Francisco.

The next day, the sun came out briefly, and this view greeted me from C's deck:
 

Wellington is beautiful, and C's flat in Hataitai has a spectacular view of Evans Bay. C showed me the ins and outs of getting around Welly, helped me buy a SIM card for my mobile, and gave me tea and "throat lollys" for my hacking cough. By my second day there, I had lined up a better flat and was feeling much more chipper about the whole thing. It doesn't hurt that Wellington is exploding with flowers this time of year. Oh right, that's why I came.

 
Spring: the real reason I came South.

Today, C and I hopped a bus to the coast and wandered Island Bay and Owhiro Bay. Picture waves smashing against volcanic rocks, a winding road hugging the coastline, and little houses dotting the green rolling hillside.

 
Near as we can tell, this is really just someone's home.

Next week, I move into my new flat in Mt Victoria, where I'll have easier access to the coffee shops and bars of downtown Wellington. You know, back to business as usual.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: