Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Work, work, work

"Wow, you get to travel AND work? That's so cool"

"You hang out in coffee shops all day? Must be nice."

"You should take the day off and go to [some local destination]!"

"What do you mean you haven't been to [some famous landmark] yet?! It's RIGHT THERE!"

"Hey, why don't you post more pictures?"

There seems to be some confusion about my travels. I get these questions a lot. It's understandable. For most people, travel == vacation. But not for me. This is my life, and I need to work for it.

Yes, I can work from anywhere, but I still need to work. And at times like now, when my client needs me badly, I work quite hard. Just because I'm sitting in a coffee shop doesn't mean I'm sipping lattes all day with my pinky extended and my feet up. I wouldn't be able to keep that up very long before my clients got wise.

Balancing work and life is always a challenge, and it's no less so now that I'm on the road. But once the critical issue is resolved and the next release is in the bag, I can step away from my computer and go explore someplace new -- like Rotorua (http://www.rotoruanz.com), where C and I will be this weekend, soaking in volcanic hot springs. Ahhh...

And yes, I'll post pictures.

4 comments:

brian said...

Rotorua is a seriously smelly place. A bit further south I'd highly recommend some river rafting and doing the tongariro crossing. http://www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/

What was that about work?

Unknown said...

I've been warned about the smell. It can't be worse than Iceland, where you come out of the shower smelling like a rotten egg. The Tongariro Crossing is also on my list, either this outing or the next. Thanks for the tip!

Gail at Large said...

I'm totally guilty of #5, but you know I take more photos of my own backyard than most people take on holiday so there's no escaping the question.

Jeff Molby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.