Monday, December 1, 2008

It's Just Stuff

Possibly the most vexing issue I'm currently dealing wrt my walk-about is: What to do with my stuff? I don't have a definitive answer yet, but I've found a lot of options.

Option 0: Sell It All

It's just stuff, right? I could ditch it and vacate my apartment. Now that's freedom! Alas, I just can't bring myself to do this. Maybe after vagabonding for a bit I'll come to see my stuff as unnecessary baggage, but I'm not there yet. I like my sofa. I waited 6 months for it to be delivered, dammit.

Option 1: Home Swap

I currently rent. I considered buying a condo, moving my stuff there, and using it to do home swaps with people all over the world. Sites like HomeExchange make this pretty easy. However, I expect that after traveling for a bit, I may want to settle down someplace, and that place may not be Seattle. Buying a condo here just feels like a step in the wrong direction.

Option 2: Storage

I could get rid of some of my stuff, put the rest in storage, and vacate my apartment. There are plenty of storage solutions to choose from. An experienced nomad tipped me off to PODS, Portable On-Demand Storage. They drop off a big storage container in front of your place, you load it up with your stuff, and they cart if off and store it for you. Perfect! Not cheap, but it makes Getting Away a breeze.

Option 3: Sublet

I could sublet out my apartment, fully furnished. That way, I can just leave most of my stuff where it is. It also means that after a year or so I would have the option to return to my comfy old Seattle life -- kinda like having a safety net.

Subletting is very appealing for obvious reasons, and I'm leaning in this direction. I figure I'll start actively looking for someone to sublet my place in the new year. If you know anyone (or anytwo or three) that want a beautiful fully-furnished apartment just off 15th in Capitol Hill, let me know.

No comments: