Wednesday, July 8, 2009

BlackBerry / iPhone Throw Down

To a remote worker, few things are more important than a mobile phone. So I'd like to devote this post to my ongoing love-affair with my BlackBerry and why it's a better choice than an iPhone for the world-traveling remote worker.

I've already devoted a whole post to why I won't buy an iPhone. My reason at the time was the extortionate international data rates AT&T charges iPhone users. But with experience comes wisdom. Or something.

Unlocked Phones

Way back when I first decided to buy the BlackBerry Bold, I thought I'd also need to buy a second unlocked handset so I could use it with SIM chips bought overseas. Since then, I read this great travel article on CNN.com about taking your cell phone overseas, which has this to say:
... if you are an AT&T or T-Mobile USA customer, you can also unlock the phone you have. Simply call your provider's customer support number.
Terrific! I got right on the phone with AT&T and unlocked my BlackBerry, just like that! The article later goes on to say:
(This applies to most GSM phones except the iPhone, which AT&T will not provide an unlock code for.)
Sorry, iPhone users. Want an unlocked phone? Too bad.

Internet Tethering

Hey, check it! iPhone OS 3 is out and it supports tethering! W00t! I devoted a whole post about getting this to work with my BlackBerry and how cool it is to be able to wirelessly share my BlackBerry's Internet connection with my laptop. And now iPhone users can do that, too! But wait, let's look more closely at Apple's announcement:

Internet Tethering

Share your Internet connection with your laptop with Internet tethering via Bluetooth or USB.[*]
[*] Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability.
Oh. So you're American? Sorry, you can't tether your iPhone. There's no reason, really; we just don't want you to.

Can someone please explain to me why so many people in this country wait in a line to be $%^#'ed in the shorts by Apple and AT&T?

I'm not the only one who feels this way. Here's another digital nomad's take on the BlackBerry/iPhone issue: Five Reasons Why the BlackBerry Bold Rocks the iPhone's World

No comments: