Sunday, August 2, 2009

Toronto, By Way of Tahoe

Business

In the last week, I've had to rearrange my travel plans a bit to squeeze in a business trip to Tahoe. (Poor me!) So I bid San Francisco farewell and hopped a plane to Reno. A few hours later, I rolled into South Tahoe and set up camp in a lovely apartment with a view of Lake Tahoe to the West and Carson Valley to the East. Amazing.

 

My client, colleague and friend T set me up with the place and also provided chauffeur service. Riding shotgun in a convertible Porsche Boxter through windy mountain passes at unsafe speeds does a lot for one's outlook. Yay.

Pleasure

Business finished, I flew to Toronto where I was grilled at length by Immigration Services. It seems they didn't like my story about staying in Toronto with a friend I first met online. Lesson learned. Next time, I'll make up a less interesting story. On the plus side, my shiny new passport has its first stamp. My wanderings are now officially international.

Patiently waiting at the airport (and waiting and waiting) was G, an old friend from a prior life and the passionate world-traveler who first introduced me to CouchSurfing. We caught up over beers and nachos at her local pub before retiring to her place, meeting her cats (a-choo!), and crashing on her futon for my first true couch-surf.

More on my impressions of Toronto in future posts.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: