Thursday, February 24, 2011

All Work And No Play ...

My friend J said she wanted my life. I mean, who wouldn't, right? World travel, adventure, new people, exotic food, and all those life-enriching experiences. It's like one big party all the time.

Except it's not. Here's a dirty secret: my life is pretty boring. I have a job. I work. I don't talk about it much because blog posts about a boring life are ... boring! But it's the truth. Like anybody in the working world, I have ... oh hell, it's all too boring to type. Here's how I spend my days: working! Exciting, huh?

"But you get to work in exciting places." True, and it's great. I can look out the window at people -- Vietnamese people! -- having fun. Woo.

It's not always like this. A consultant's life is feast or famine. When the workload is light, I can spend more time enjoying my surroundings. I can even choose not to take a client at all, but if I did that all the time I'd just be a bum. When I have a client, it doesn't matter that I'm in Vietnam. It doesn't matter that I'd like to spend a couple of weeks touring the countryside. I can't. I'm too busy. It's INFURIATING.

In fact, I'm too busy to be blogging. But really quick, here's purty a pic I snapped while walking to the coffee shop this morning:



OK, back to work.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Eric, I've started reading your blog maybe one or two months ago! I love it!
Hope you remember me, I'm the dreadheaded friend of Gail, you came to Natalia and my house for brunch one time I think.

Anyway I wanted to tell you about a documentary series that I've been working on for the last year that might be very interesting to you. It's all about why people choose to live unconventional lifestyles.

I hope you'll find a minute in between your work to check it out here: http://www.facebook.com/Roadslesstraveled

We're launching the project next month in Toronto, I know you can't be there, but hey, let's stay in touch and tell me when you're back "home". If home is the right word :)

Take care!
Jan

Unknown said...

Hi, Jan! Of course I remember you. And Natalia. And that brunch at your place. It was shortly after Toronto had that freaky, cool lightening storm.

Your documentary project sounds AWESOME. How can I see it and/or be part of it?

As for the "home" bit, well you know how it is. :-)

Gail at Large said...

You nailed the reflection, Niebler.

*applause*

Work has this nasty habit of getting in the way of life, doesn't it?

(Back to work for me on a Friday night. Sad! But I need to pay the vet bills.)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Gail. I'm getting there. Little by little. I probably need to learn some photo editing. Where do I begin?

I complain about work, but I love it. I really do. Like kids, it keeps you from doing some things, but it comes with its own rewards. And unlike kids, I can put the computer to sleep whenever I need a break. :-)