Friday, April 8, 2011

1 Reason to Stop Dreaming and Start Planning Your Round the World Trip

Back when I was still living in Seattle dreaming about travel, I signed up for a bunch of travel-related newsletters, so messages like this one from Bootsnall.com would regularly land in my Inbox:

11 Reasons to Stop Dreaming and Start Planning Your Round the World Trip

Every time I got one, a voice in my head would say, "Dammit, why am I still just dreaming? <sigh>"

And going further back, about 10 years ago in a fit of premature travel-lust I went to REI and bought a serious backpack. You know, the kind for world-travelers and backpackers. It sat in the bottom of my closet for years unused and unsullied, silently taunting me every time I opened the closet: "Let's go already!"

Now, my backpack is showing serious signs of wear (yay!) and I'm in Thailand enjoying views like this:


The best part of traveling for me? The one reason that matters above all others?

I've finally silenced that little voice in my head.

Now when I see posts like, "The 11 Reasons to Blah, Blah, Blah," I can just smile. Maybe some people need 11 reasons. I needed just that one.

2 comments:

klbarrus said...

That's a nice view indeed! I might have to look into getting posted overseas. :)

Unknown said...

I don't know many jobs that will post you on a tropical island. Maybe Survivor. :-)