Friday, April 1, 2011

Koh Tao Update: Keep Hope Alive


Note: This post is an update to the previous.

Meet the new plan. Same as the old plan. That's the short of it. Keep reading for details...

Have I mentioned that CouchSurfing.org rocks? In the depths of despair, I checked the Thailand message board and found a recent message from a Koh Tao resident assuring everybody that Koh Tao was Just Fine, Thankyouverymuch. Huh.

Then, I had the good fortune yesterday to meet a nice German who DJ's on the islands frequently. When I asked him about Koh Tao, he also told me that the island was fine now. Huh. (He also convinced me that Koh Phangan, the next island south, would be a better fit for me since I don't dive.)

So right now, I'm having a coffee at Hua Lamphong Train Station in Bangkok. I came here to talk to travel agents, learn more about the situation in Koh Tao and my transportation options. Here's what I've learned:

1. Koh Tao is NOT a disaster area (though Koh Samui and Koh Phangan are still recovering).
2. Reduced train service to Chumphon has been restored.
3. Ferries from Chumphon to Koh Tao are running again.

So, if I were so inclined, I could leave on a very late train tonight and be in Koh Tao this time tomorrow.

Instead, I'll wait in Bangkok one more day for my health to improve (I'm already much better) and see if they don't add more trains. Ideally, I'd catch the 7:30pm train tomorrow, which would allow me to take the early morning ferry on Monday. The beach beckons!

I plan to hang out on Koh Tao until Koh Phangan is fully recovered from the storm. Then I'll move over there, rent a bungalow and drop off the face.

I'm hoping for the best. And bringing my rain gear. Wish me luck.

Sent via tiny mobile device

2 comments:

Gail at Large said...

You actually bought rain gear?

Unknown said...

Haha! Yes, I bought rain gear at REI the last time I was in Seattle. And by "rain gear", I mean a breathable waterproof shell with a hood. That's pretty much it, but it does work.