Thursday, March 31, 2011

Buddhas, Germs, Floods, and an Anniversary

Happy Anniversary to me!

Two years ago today, I boarded a train and left my home in Seattle. Two years. Has it really been that long? It's been wonderful, no doubt, but this will be the latest in a line of it-ain't-all-roses posts.

But before we get to that ... Buddhas! Let's look at some now.

The Temple of the Golden Buddha may not be the most spectacular and extravagant temple in Bangkok, but it's easily my favorite.





The building is beautiful, as is the statue itself. With fewer tourists, it's a peaceful place to sit and think to the tinkling sounds of wind chimes.

Of course, I also had to see the famous Reclining Buddha.



Yeah, it's pretty big. But it's a shameless tourist attraction, and people are herded through like cattle. The statue itself is meh, and when it comes to Buddha statues, I really don't get this mine-is-bigger-than-yours mentality.

And with that, I think I'm templed and Buddhad out. No more.

Beach Bungalow a Bust

From Bangkok, I planned to go to a remote tropical location, rent a beach bungalow for a month or two, and generally drop off the face of the Earth. Fresh air, surf, sun, ... I was really looking forward to it. Mother Nature had a different plan. My chosen destination, the island of Koh Tao in the Bay of Thailand, is now a disaster zone, along with the rest of southern Thailand. Massive flooding has devastated the region, cutting it off completely. The Thai navy actually sent its only aircraft carrier to the region to rescue people from Koh Tao. What are the chances? (And who knew the Thai navy even had an aircraft carrier?)

OK, so I refunded my train ticket and will take a loss on the ferry and the bungalow deposit. I need a new plan, but I've been slow to come up with one because ...

Germs: 1, Me: 0

... I've been flat on my back with bronchitis for the past 2 days. I spent a significant amount of time laid low by germs in Hanoi, too. It's discouraging. I admit I may not have the constitution for extended travel in SE Asia. What am I going to do about it? I'll tell you. <pause> I don't know.

In my travels, I've met lots of people who romanticize my lifestyle. Maybe you're one of them. Reality check: sometimes it really sucks. This week alone, I've said goodbye to a good friend, had my plans thrown in disarray, and gotten sick. If I could be airlifted back to my old apartment in Seattle, I'd seriously consider it. <cough>

But I won't.

A Growth Opportunity

I have a dear friend. When she starts a sentence with: "I'm feeling particularly blessed...", I brace myself for a tale of woe in which all the negatives have been creatively spun into positives. I've learned to interpret "feeling blessed" as "the situation is shit, but I'm choosing to focus on the silver lining." (You know who you are, and I <3 you.) My current situation qualifies as feeling-blessed moment. This trip is all about getting outside of my comfort zone and learning to adapt and be flexible. This is my chance.

The weather will blow over. I'll make another plan. I'll recover from my cold and make new friends. For the first time in 2 days, I've left my hotel room. The sun is out, it's warm, and hell, I'm in Bangkok. Don't be such a bloody whinger, right? So, feeling blessed. Trying to, at least.

Universe to me: Happy anniversary! I got you this opportunity. Don't waste it.

1 comment:

Gail at Large said...

Ha! I know I'm not that "I'm feeling blessed.." person.

I have my own way of dealing with the imbalances of the universe, somewhat similarly but I just word the optimism in a different way.

Re: floods. It's one thing to try and visit but imagine living there, permanently. In the Philippines people live in homes constantly under threat of demolition by Mother Nature. But they don't know anything else.