Thursday, September 24, 2009

People, Not Places

Here I am, almost six months into my nomadic life, and I've spent only one month out of the country! That's a little embarrassing considering all my big talk back in March. It's funny how expectations rarely line up with reality.

Six months ago, I was excited thinking about all the places I wanted to visit. But freedom to travel also means freedom to see more of the people I care about -- to visit old friends and family and to be there for the people who need me. Rather than picking destinations based on how exotic or beautiful they are, I've been drawn to the ones called home by the people who energize and excite me.

Blah, blah, blah! Here are some pictures from the Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy, NYC, which I used as an excuse to catch up with my friend M from Seattle and Y from San Francisco (both New Yorkers, now):

 
A heavy smoke hangs over the crowded street. The street vendors were doing a brisk business in grilled beasts of all sorts.

 
Throw another squid on the barbie! Ick.

 
Washington Square Park, where I was nearly hustled in a game of chess.

Not long from now, I'll board a plane for North Carolina -- another destination not originally on my travel itinerary -- to visit an old buddy who, for his own reasons, has recently come to more fully appreciate the people in his life. I'm really looking forward to it.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Gail at Large said...

Where's the Blah Blah Blah category? ;)

It's true: people-oriented trips and places-oriented trips have a different pull factor. If the trip is long enough, you can get in both!