Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Avoid Allmydata.com

For a while now, I've been looking for a way to backup my data and also make it accessible online. There are a TON of services available; the hard part is picking one. I've just crossed one off my list: Allmydata.com. Allmydata, how have you failed me? Let me count the ways.

1) It used all my disc space.

After installing Allmydata, the first thing I tried was to copy 25Gb of music files from an external hard drive to the network. Allmydata first tried to cache all of it to my system drive. Hullo, I don't have 25Gb of free space on my laptop. This left me to clean up the mess Allmydata made.

2) Their support forum wasn't supportive.

I posted my problems to their online support forum. Big waste of time. No feedback, no suggested workaround, no ETA on a fix ... nothing.

3) Random failures on file copy.

After cleaning up Allmydata's mess, I tried doing file copies in small batches. But by now, Allmydata was so thorougly fubar it was unable to even copy a single file to my network share. I even tried reinstalling their desktop application. No luck.

4) Nobody's home.

I figured I'd try emailing their support directly. (They don't have phone support.) Nobody replied. Really? Yes, really.

Sorry, Allmydata. You're fired.

3 comments:

Peter Secor said...

Sorry it didn't work out for you Eric, good luck with your search for other services.

Peter (Allmydata)

David Abrahams said...

I'll be using the underlying open-source technology from allmydata.org but not the allmydata.com windows client, so that particular issue of cacheing an external drive's files on the internal drive probably won't come up for me. So far, the responsiveness of the tahoe-dev mailing list has been quite good, but I have to admit that since I'll be relying on allmydata.com's storage grid, not being able to reach support is a worry.

Somehow it looks like you got a blog reply from their CTO. Too little too late?

Unknown said...

If Peter had said, "Come back, we're addressing your concerns in the following ways ...", I might consider it. But he didn't.