Friday, October 2, 2009

Intrepid Explorer

My career as a (peripatetic) programmer began with my childhood fascination with planes. So it's appropriate that my present wanderings should take me to the USS Intrepid, a WWII-era aircraft carrier-cum-floating aviation museum that now sits in New York harbor. I went with my father. We spent the whole afternoon there.

 
My, what a big boat you have.

The Intrepid is hours of geeky entertainment, with planes from the 40's to the present day on display, not to mention the Intrepid itself which is an engineering marvel.

 
A WWII-era Grumman E-1B Tracer. They have newer and fancier planes on display, but I like the oldies and goodies.

 
I was particularly drawn toward the command and control centers, the 40's-era cryptology tech, and the pneumatic tubes used throughout for communication. Above is a teletype machine that would bang out decrypts. A pneumatic tube would carry them to the captain's bridge with a whoosh and a thunk.

 
On the bridge, the captain would sit in his chair and read his decrypted messages (and do other captain-y things, I suppose). This captain's chair looks worse for wear, though.

As for how my love of planes became a love of computers and programming, I'll leave that for another day.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

brian said...

I don't know if I mentioned that I went to the air and space museum at dulles when in DC, but you should hit it for sure if you get down that way.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/UdvarHazy/

Unknown said...

The Smithsonian? Oh yeah. I went there as a kid. Hog heaven. I could live there.

Gail at Large said...

But the Udvar-Hazy Center is new -- I tried to check it out in Spring '05 when I was in DC but we ran out of time. It opened in December '03, I believe it was during the Centennial celebrations (100 years of flight as of December 17, 2003).