Friday, October 23, 2009

More Bang For Your Starbucks

The only coffee shop within walking distance of my current home base is a Starbucks. They're not usually my first choice when looking for a hot cuppa (or second, or third, or...). Starbucks normally charges for their wifi, but I've learned how to beat their little system.

AT&T Free Wi-Fi

Starbucks wifi is provided by AT&T. Recently, AT&T agreed to provide free wifi access to US users of certain smartphones on the AT&T mobile network, including iPhones and some BlackBerrys. You can read all the details here. I walked into Starbucks and my BlackBerry Bold connected to the wifi automatically, no configuration or login necessary. OK Starbucks, not bad.

Bluetooth Tethering

Only my AT&T mobile device has free wifi access at Starbucks. My laptop, however, does not. In another post, I described how to tether a BlackBerry, using it as a Bluetooth modem for a laptop.[1] So my laptop connects to my phone through Bluetooth, and my phone connects to the Internet via wifi. Problem solved, right?

USB Tethering

The problem with Bluetooth tethering is that you are limited to Bluetooth speeds. Also, I find it drains my BlackBerry's battery pretty fast. Instead, I found I could connect my BlackBerry to my laptop using a USB cable. That boosts the speed and keeps the phone charged. Configuring a BlackBerry as a USB modem was pretty simple, and is described on BlackBerry's support forums.

So that's it: unlimited, free broadband at any Starbucks in the US. Now, if only I can convince them to stop playing the new Barbara Streisand album. Ack.

[1] Sorry US iPhone users, you can't tether your phones.

2 comments:

brian said...

You can also get 2 hours free by using a starbucks card.

Unknown said...

Yup, I forgot to mention that. Thanks, Brian.